Clutter can be scary! Pretty much everything you do in Windows is recorded somewhere in the Registry. For example, the simple fact that you are reading this article is most likely being recorded in your registry this very second. The problem with your Windows Registry is that if you open it on your computer, it's probably as cluttered as your 13-year-old's bedroom. Even though Windows can clean up some messes on your computer, the registry can sometimes get a little too messy, causing your PC to run a little more slowly than you're used to. First, if you don't have one already, you're going to need Registry Software. Most of this is free, but some you may have to purchase.
I use AVG, and it works very well. In case you don't wish to purchase software, there are also registry cleaner downloads. This download will provide you with information such as user and expert reviews and utility features that help you in selecting the tool that is best compatible with your PC. Be sure that you get your downloads from a site that you can trust that is legitimate so you don't accidentally get a virus on your computer. The best way to ensure that the download is clean is to scan it with your anti-virus and spyware programs.
Malicious viruses can cause major problems to your PC When in doubt, run your anti-virus before and after you clean your registry. Sometimes viruses or other malicious programs are embedded so deep within the registry that it is close to impossible to remove them on your own. Running your anti-virus daily will ensure that your registry is safe from any malicious spyware, and it will also remove them from your registry.
Think smart when removing programs from your PC. Remember when you started downloading that particular program, and it took too long, so you aborted it? Well that is a major cause of registry clutter. If there are programs that are half-installed on your computer, you're going to have to uninstall it. This can be done by going into your Control Panel and clicking on the Add or Remove Programs icon. Select the program that you wish to remove and follow the directions on the uninstaller wizard.
ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND
- When you begin scanning, make sure not to have any applications running because they cause registry changes.
- You're going to need to do the cleaning twice. The first time, you'll need to pay closer attention, but the second time you can leave the computer alone.
- Clicking on icons or anything while the scan is running will cause registry changes, so it is best to just watch closely.
- Cleaning your registry is not the sole way of speeding up your PC because everything depends on the condition of your Registry.
- When cleaning your registry, don't just simply click the "next" button in the wizard in case it's accidentally removing something that you need.
- Do not remove any program that you're not sure of. When in doubt, ask a computer expert.