First you need to add the following line to source list file by editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file
$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Add the following line
deb http://tskariah.000webhost.com/ubuntu ubuntu main
Save and exit the file
Add the PGP public key for the new repository
$ wget http://tskariah.000webhost.com/t_skariah.asc.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
Update the source list
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo aptitude install ypops
Re-configure YPOPs! for Ubuntu
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure -fgnome ypops
Other front-ends could be “dialog” (default), or “web”.The old /etc/ypops.ini would be saved as /etc/ypops.ini.bak
A dialog will popup with help for every option available .
Don’t check the ‘Add a new account’ in the first step unless you have multiple yahoo accounts.
If you’re installing YPOPs! on a LAN computer that acts as a router, replace the bind address 127.0.0.1 with the LAN address reachable by the other network PCs (192.168.1.1 or 10.10.0.1 for example).
How to start YPOPs! for Ubuntu manually
$ sudo /etc/init.d/ypops start
How to stop YPOPs! for Ubuntu manually:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/ypops stop
How to automatically start YPOPs! for Ubuntu at bootup
Use the configuration wizard.
How to remove YPOPs! for Ubuntu:
$ sudo apt-get remove ypops
/etc/init.d/ypops - init script/etc/ypops.ini - config file/usr/bin/ypops - executable file/var/log/ypops/ - log directory/var/run/ypops.pid - pid file
WARNING: The log directory is readable by all. If the log-level is set to Advanced, YPOPs! would dump all the HTML pages there, which might contain private information.
If you want to configure Mozilla Thunderbird to access your yahoo email use the following steps
- Click Tools-> Account Settings
- Click Add Account button.
- Choose Email account. Click Next
- Type name and email address in the boxes. Click Next
- Choose POP and type ‘localhost’ as the incoming server.
- Depending on your preferences check or uncheck Use Global Inbox
- Click Next. If your username is not already there by default, add it.
- Click Next. Add the way you want your Account Name to look in Thunderbird.
- Click Finish.
Now scroll down to the bottom of the Account Settings pane and click on Outgoing server (SMTP).Click on Advanced. Click on Add.
- Type 127.0.0.1 as the outgoing mail server. Port default is 25.
- Check Use name and password. This is Thunderbird’s way of enabling authentication.
- Type your Yahoo user name as email@example.com.
- Click No to Use secure connection and then OK twice.
- Click OK to the Server Settings window.
Now get back into Account SettingsGo back to the Server Settings of you Yahoo Account in the Account Settings pane.
Do not check Use secure connection (SSL) or Use secure authentication.
- Click on Advanced.
- Choose where you want your emails to go in the POP tab.
- Click on the SMTP tab and click on the drop down menu and select 127.0.0.1:25
- Continue modifying any of your preferences in the account and then click on OK.
The first time you try to access the account, Mozilla will ask for a password and if you want Mozilla to remember the password.
Get Free Updates in your Inbox